Make Rock Candy
What you'll need:
Cotton string or wooden skewers
Wooden craft sticks or pencils
Clean 32-ounce glass jars
2 cups water
glass jars that can hold 2 cups water
4 cups granulated sugar (plus extra for assembly)
Food coloring (optional)
1. If using cotton string: Cut string into a few 6”-pieces. Tie one end of each string to a pencil or wooden craft stick, then place across the mouths of the glass jars, one per jar. Make sure the pieces of string hang into the jars without touching the bottom or sides.
If using skewers: Tie skewers to craft sticks perpendicularly, so you’re able to suspend the skewers in the middle of the jars. Make sure the skewers aren’t touching the bottom or sides.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the granulated sugar one cup at a time, stirring each cup until the sugar is completely dissolved before adding the next cup. If desired, gradually add several drops of food coloring, stirring continuously until the food coloring is mixed in and the sugar is fully dissolved.
3. Remove the solution from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. While the solution is cooling, moisten strings or skewers in water and roll in granulated sugar until they are lightly covered. This jumpstarts the formation of the sugar crystals.
5. Remove the strings or skewers from the jars, then carefully pour in syrup. Next, lower one string or skewer into each jar.
6. Loosely cover the top of each jar with a paper towel or foil to prevent dust from getting into the mixture. Don’t seal tightly, as there needs to be enough ventilation for the water to evaporate.
7. Let sit undisturbed for 5-7 days. The crystals will begin to form within a few hours and continue for several days.
8. Once it’s crystallized to your liking, remove the strings or skewers and let dry. Wrap in cellophane, tie off with string or ribbon and store in a cool, dry place.
For color and flavor, add some dry powdered Kool-Aid or tie a small piece of hard candy at the bottom of the string, like a piece of a peppermint or cinnamon candy.